Information We Collect and How We Use It
In general, you can visit and surf the Site without disclosing your identity or revealing any personal information about yourself. However, based on your use and activation of certain services we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide– To fully use our Site, you will need to register using our online registration form, where you may be required to provide us with your contact and identity information and other personal information as indicated on the forms throughout the Site. You always have the option to not provide information by choosing not to use a particular service or feature on the Site. Our primary goal in doing so is to provide a safe, efficient, smooth and customized experience. This allows us to provide services and features that most likely meet your needs, and to customize our Site to make your experience safer and easier. Importantly, we only collect personal information about you that we consider necessary for achieving this purpose.
- Information we track - We may automatically track certain information about you based upon your behaviour on our site. We use this information to do internal research on our users' demographics, interests, and behavioural and search patterns to better understand, protect and serve our users. This information is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis. This information may include the URL that you just came from (whether this URL is on our site or not), which URL you next go to (whether this URL is on our site or not), your computer browser information, and your IP address.
- Log information – When you access the Site via a browser, application or other client our servers automatically record certain information. These server logs may include information such as your web request, your interaction with a service, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account.
- Transactional information - If you choose to buy or sell on the Site, we collect information about your buying and selling behaviour. We also collect other users' comments about you in our feedback area.
- User communications – When you send email or other communications to us, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services. When you send and receive SMS messages to or from one of our services that provides SMS functionality, we may collect and maintain information associated with those messages, such as the phone number, the wireless carrier associated with the phone number, the content of the message, and the date and time of the transaction. We may also use your email address to communicate with you about our services. If you choose to post messages on our forum or leave feedback for other users, we will collect that information. We retain this information as necessary to resolve disputes, provide customer support and troubleshoot problems as permitted by law or deemed necessary by us. If other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on the Site, we may also collect such information into a file specific to you.
Use of Information: We may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, protect, and improve our services (including advertising services) and develop new services.
- Protect the rights or property of Carnation or our users.
- Resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, help promote safe trading, collect fees owed, measure consumer interest in the services provided by us, inform you about online and offline offers, products, services, and updates, customize your experience and as otherwise described to you at the time of collection of the information.
- If you choose to list a car for sale on the Site we use your address and billing information to bill you (if any) and provide associated support.
- When a user lists a classified advertisement, and the advertisement receives an expression of interest by the interested user, the interested user will be provided the contact information of the user listing the advertisement as provided in that user's registration form. Similarly when a user expresses an interest in a classified advertisement, the user who has listed the advertisement will be provided the contact information of the interested user as provided in the interested user's registration form.
Apart from the above, you also specifically agree that:
- We may use personal information about you to improve our marketing and promotional efforts.
- We may use your personal information to contact you and deliver information to you that, in some cases, are targeted to your interests, such as targeted banner advertisements, administrative notices, product offerings and communications relevant to your use of the Site.
Carnation only shares personal information with other companies or individuals in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Carnation, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, including appropriate encryption and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to Carnation employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
We may use third parties that we refer to as internal service providers to facilitate or outsource one or more aspects of the business, product and service operations that we provide to you on the Site (e.g., search technology, discussion boards, bill collection, affiliate and rewards programs) and therefore we may provide some of your personal information directly to these internal service providers. These internal service providers' are subject to confidentiality agreements with us and other legal restrictions that prohibit their use of the information we provide them for any other purpose except to facilitate the specific outsourced Site related operation, unless you have explicitly agreed or given your prior permission to them for additional uses.
This document is an electronic record in terms of Information Technology Act, 2000 and the amended provisions pertaining to electronic records in various statutes as amended by the Information Technology Act, 2000. This electronic record is generated by a computer system and does not require any physical or digital signatures.